Spending the Yen 4: Yubinkyoku Treasures

Tokyo Central Post OfficeOne of my favorite places to shop in Tokyo is the post office. Or, I should say, the many post offices. Of course, my favorite was our “local” PO but it was fun to get out to other locations to see the different offerings. The postcards and washi tape above are from the Tokyo Central Post Office located near Tokyo Station and inside the Kitte shopping and dining center. (Kitte is Japanese for postage stamp.) Jess took us there and smiled as we walked into the post office. She knew it would be a hit. (Thanks, Jess!) Tokyo Central Post OfficeThe Kitte had special washi tape made for its first anniversary. I couldn’t resist. posta collect I also picked out some Posta Collect mailbox letter paper and a pen. It reminded me of the glue stick from last year. Anything that has that classic red mailbox on it is pretty much a guaranteed purchase.japan post officeI loved the spring mailbox postcard and the big postal bear ready to deliver a big message. japan post officeAnd this tiny tape runner is the perfect size for traveling and it’s shaped like a mail truck! japan post officeI bought the fourth set of constellation stamps and my brother-in-law, Norio gave me the other set. It’s Tokyo Skytree and Tokyo Tower. posta collect, japan post officeNorio also gave me these post office stickers. The bike, the mail truck, the mailboxes, the mail bags…they were the best gift ever. I love that Japan has so many postal treats. cherry blossom stamps, Japan post officeI sent out so many postcards using the spring stamps (shown above). Japan really embraces unique shapes in their postage stamps, this time using round and sakura shaped stamps. japan post officeThis fancy mail van was delivering packages to our hotel and Lawson’s convenience store. japan post officeYay for good mail and good mail treasures!

Tagged , , , , , ,

11 thoughts on “Spending the Yen 4: Yubinkyoku Treasures

1. nikske1993 says:

Loving the stamps – they are adorable! 🙂

2. Cindy R. says:

Wow, Japan does have seriously cute postal-themed stuff!

3. Ali Yawar says:

Hello Kimberly,

I am in Okinawa for a few months for an internship. Your post helped me so much in finding out how to channelize the excitement I had for postal goodies and stamps. I bought a LOT of stuff (given my student intern stipend) and almost lived on soup and chips for a week. 😛 But I am so happy! Just sent a fat bundle of postcards across to family and friends. I wish letter writing becomes more mainstream again. It is one of my most rewarding hobbies. 🙂

Thanks again!

• kimberly ah says:

Oh! I’m so glad you got to buy some treats at the post office, Ali! Isn’t is wonderful in Japan? I agree…I wish more people would write letters. Thanks for reading 🙂

4. Hi Kimberly, I am a big fan of Japan post and still love sending letters instead of email.( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

• kimberly ah says:

Thanks for visiting! Glad to meet you 🙂 Hopefully I’ll have some posts soon about some new Japanese postal things I discovered on this trip!

• Welcome back!(: Looking forward to your stories on your interesting impromptu trip~! cuz reading your ‘Spending the yen’ articles really tempts me to want to go Japan!!^^

• kimberly ah says:

Yay! Hopefully I’ll have more of those posts coming up this week! It’s a GREAT place for shopping! 🙂