Tourist Postcards

DSC_0180My mailbox has been buzzing lately with all sorts of good mail. Two of my pen pals sent interesting travel postcards this month. I’ve never seen this “mailable souvenir” concept before but now I think I’ll be keeping my eye out for something like it next time I travel.

DSC_0183Anne sent the Wildflowers of Colorado postcard. It’s a postcard-sized seed packet with Wild Red Columbine inside. I’m looking forward to winter sowing them for next summer! And Ali sent a postcard packet of sourdough starter from Alaska. I’ve been wanting to make sourdough bread for years, so this is the perfect excuse to try!

Have you ever seen anything like this when you’ve been shopping for postcards? I want to know what other fun things are out there!

Thanks for the good mail, Anne & Ali!

Tagged , ,

9 thoughts on “Tourist Postcards

1. Cindy R. says:

Wow, these are so neat! I’ve never seen anything like that before.

2. Samuel says:

Here in London there is a shop called Postcard Teas…..and you can send little postcard/packets of tea. See http://www.postcardteas.com/site/

3. Lauren says:

I work for a museum in Denver that sells those. I always wonder how many people mail theirs.

4. Annie says:

I once bought a lot of vintage postcards. One of them, dated 1945, was from Salt Lake City and had a tiny bag of salt attached to it – https://scribblingglue.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/salt-lake-postcard.jpg

• kimberly ah says:

Annie, that is so fun! I hope you don’t mind but I linked to your post with that postcard. I wonder if Salt Lake City still makes them? I’ve been thinking a lot about what would/should be on a Chicago postcard…or a Forest Park postcard…I haven’t come up with any good ideas though.

• Annie says:

I don’t mind a bit!

The postcard rate in 1945 was one cent, but the salt postcard had three cents of postage; the postage today would also above and beyond the regular postcard rate. Whether they still exist might depend on if today’s postcard senders think the novelty outweighs the cost of sending them!

I don’t know Chicago, so I have no suggestions, but I can say that my favorite tourist postcards fall into two categories – iconic or quirky. The salt postcard appeals to me so much because it falls into both categories.

5. […] Annie commented on my tourist postcard post last week and shared a vintage postcard from Salt Lake City with a tiny bag of salt sewn into the […]